Exercise, no matter what you do, is always beneficial to your overall health and well-being. Though there are a lot of reasons to work out that have nothing to do with losing weight, we’ve come up with a list of our top seven exercises that burn the most calories.
The 7 Best Calorie Burning Workouts
The best exercise is any exercise, but if your goal is to lose weight and tone up, incorporating a few of these workouts into your routine will certainly help you reach that goal.
These 7 Workouts Burn a Ton of Calories
- Sprinting: Whether you’re an avid runner or just beginning, you’ll be able to get your heartrate up and burn some serious calories with interval training. Start out slow. Try starting with 30 seconds of an all-out sprint, then jog for 1 minute. Incorporate interval training into your runs once or twice a week. When you feel ready, flip the switch. Sprint all out for 2 minutes, jog for 1 minute and repeat.
- Spinning and Indoor Cycling: At a high intensity, a 130-pound person burns around 400 calories during an hour of stationary bicycling. If you can’t motivate yourself to stay on the bike for an hour, try a spin class or incorporate interval training into your sessions.
- HIIT Training: If you’re short on time, try HIIT or High-Intensity Interval Training. This unique workout ranges anywhere between 7 minutes to an hour and you can find a variety of different workouts for free on YouTube. Want an additional challenge? Wear a weighted vest during your workout.
- Jumping Rope: A blast from the past! Jump rope at a moderate pace and if you want to up your intensity, add in a few intervals.
- Swimming: At a fast, vigorous pace, a 130-pound person will burn an average of 590 calories per hour of swimming. If you want a challenge, throw in a lap of the butterfly stroke every 175 yards.
- Kickboxing, Boxing, and Martial Arts: High intensity kickboxing and boxing classes can help a 130-pound person burn between 600-700 calories per hour.
- Hill Workouts: Whether on a bicycle or running outdoors, throw in a few hill workouts to maximize calories burned. Hills are also a great way to strengthen your legs and glutes.